Water damage is inevitable, whether your home has been flooded or subjected to severe leaks. Mold from water damage is another possible outcome of these situations. You might assume that mold from water damage will eventually go away on its own. In reality, that is anything but the case. Untreated mold can grow quickly and become destructive without remediation. Keep reading this blog to learn about the risks of neglecting mold from water damage. 

Neglecting Mold From Water Damage: The Risks 

Neglecting mold from water damage can create many risks to your property and your health. Here are just five of the more notable risks of failing to treat mold from water damage. 

1. Allergies

If you or a loved one tend to experience serious symptoms during allergy season, leaving mold from water damage untreated in your home can make your allergies worse. While these symptoms may not appear the moment the mold shows up, they can worsen over time the longer you fail to treat any mold growing in your home. Symptoms include a runny nose, sneezing, eye irritation, and skin rashes. 

2. Increased Severity Of Asthma

Allergies alone are bothersome enough. If you or any of your loved ones have asthma, leaving mold from water damage to fester can increase its severity. Specifically, large amounts of mold are more likely to increase the frequency of asthma attacks an individual might experience. 

allergies asthma mold from water damage

3. Toxic Effects From Black Mold

If you aren’t careful about treating mold from water damage, you could be dealing with the consequences of black mold in your home. Black mold is known for being incredibly toxic and can result in health problems like pneumonia and other pulmonary problems. For this reason, it’s essential to take care of any mold from water damage in your home, lest you deal with the fallout of the most toxic molds spreading. 

black mold from water damage

4. Lower Immune System

Depending on how long you leave mold from water damage in your home to grow and spread, you could be subjecting yourself or your loved ones to developing new long-term health problems. These problems can range from a lowered immune system to serious pulmonary infections. Children, elderly people, and individuals with auto-immune issues are especially vulnerable to the effects of untreated mold. If you live with someone who already experiences severe respiratory or pulmonary disorders, their symptoms will become worse than before, so treating mold from water damage, if you’re not careful, could become a matter of life and death. 

5. Structural Damage 

Finally, mold from water damage left untreated not only negatively affects your health. It can also lead to structural damage to your property. The more mold festers, the more it eats away at your home’s wood furniture, walls, floors, ceiling, and support structures. The last thing you want to deal with, in addition to potentially high medical bills, are the serious repair and restoration costs you’ll need to satisfy in order to salvage your home and its structural integrity. The moment there is any sign of mold from water damage in your home, put on protective gear, dry off any lingering water, circulate the air, and reach out to a restoration team to disinfect and repair your home. 

Treat All Mold From Water Damage In Your Home With ASAP Restoration!

Whatever form of mold from water damage appears in your home, your best bet is to treat it as soon as possible. If the mold is minor and hasn’t spread too far, you might be able to treat it yourself. However, if the mold has spread extensively and is obviously impacting the health of yourself and your loved ones or already causing property damage, you need to call a professional. Luckily, you can contact us at ASAP Restoration for the most thorough mold treatment possible for your home.