It is nearly impossible not to have water damage in your house or office building after flooding. After all, for most of the year, rain causes big problems for us. Somehow, it always comes at the wrong time, and sometimes you even forgot that there was heavy rainfall forecasted on that day – which resulted in more than just slippery sidewalks. Anyhow, apart from having to clean up muddy footprints there are other reasons why you need to watch out for excess moisture levels in your home or commercial space.
This article will help you answer these questions: When should I act? What should I do? But before we can dive into these details let’s first take a look at what happens when things go south due to water damage.
When should I act?
If there was a flood or even a partial leak that could have caused excess moisture in certain rooms – it is advisable to go through them carefully. Even if you do not find any visible signs of excess moisture make sure to check for:
· Watermarks on the walls and ceilings (indicating leakage)
· Paint bubbling up (indicating water trapped between paint layers)
· Warped wooden flooring or panels (furniture too!) – You can identify wood floors by running your hand through it, if you are able to feel the grain you are touching wood.
· Sticky doors (indicating warped panels)
· Excess rust on metal components (walls, air-conditioning units, or even fans, etc.)
If you notice any of these signs then it is advisable to act immediately since further damage may occur without your knowledge. Letting water damage go for too long can result in not only an unpleasant smell due to mold infestation but also an increased risk of mold growth and other health problems caused by volatile organic compounds released into the air! You should act as soon as possible if there has been any visible sign of excess moisture!
Remove all wet carpets/rugs and furniture since moisture will penetrate through them even if you think it is dry on the surface. Place all items in a well-ventilated room like an open garage or patio where there is an airflow (better outside than inside!). This way they do not become re-contaminated with mold spores present in the moist environment of your home.
· If you can still see wetness but carpets/furniture are completely dry – then it is safe to proceed to dry using fans and dehumidifiers. · If there have been any leakages, water damage repairs should be carried out as soon as possible. Repairing must include removing excess standing water and sanitizing affected areas – this way it prevents mold infestation caused by excess moisture. Removing water makes it easier for your cleaning contractors to do their work and in the long run, will ensure no mold or mildew growth in the future!
· After all cleanup is done, dehumidifiers should be left in place for the next week to make sure you don’t run into any problems later on.
· If your home was flooded, it is advisable to wait for the water level to go down (water must be below 18 inches before you start any repairs) or make sure you hire a company that knows how to work in flooded areas.
· For carpet cleaning, all affected areas should be cleaned one by one with an extraction process that involves steam/dry vapor cleaning and applying antimicrobial solutions during the procedure. There’s no harm in hiring professional carpet cleaners especially if there are kids at home since most children do play on the floor!
· Make use of fans and dehumidifiers if your property is still wet even after drying up using towels or mops so that moisture is pulled out from affected areas. Another option you can use is a portable/stand-up fan if your property is not that big and the wetness is not too severe!
· For smaller items like electronics, make sure to remove any moisture from them as water damage repairs will only worsen their condition. You can hire professionals or do it yourself – I would recommend finding a way to dry out all moisture as quickly as possible because electronic damage caused by water will usually be irreversible! In contrast, there are approaches of removing excess standing water and disinfecting affected areas – this way it prevents mold infestation caused by excess moisture. Removing water makes it easier for your cleaning contractors to do their work and in the long run, will ensure no mold or mildew growth in the future!
· Carpets and upholstered furniture can be reused after a thorough cleaning with dehumidifying (even if they are wet) but you will need to spot treat for any tough stains. If possible, place them in an open space that has good airflow. Note that even though these items may look dry on the surface, it is advisable not to use them until they are completely dried out to avoid masking mold infestation by absorbing excess moisture!
· Keep all affected areas dry – if there were leakages or flooding, make sure water damage repairs are carried out as soon as possible to keep mold infestation at bay.
· Dispose of wet/contaminated carpets/furniture to prevent mold growth in your home. You can also opt for professional services that will deep clean these items if you want to reuse them (extraction process involving steam/dry vapor cleaning and applying antimicrobial solutions during the procedure). Note that even though these items may look dry on the surface, it is advisable not to use them until they are completely dried out to avoid masking mold infestation by absorbing excess moisture!
· Always make use of dehumidifiers in case you find yourself in a situation where there’s excess moisture like flooded areas or leakages. Dehumidifiers will at least lessen the effects of mold infestation and will allow you to dry up wet areas faster.
· Airing out your rooms regularly is another way of keeping at bay any unwanted mold or mildew spores so this option should also be considered if you want to prevent mold infestation after water damage!
Water can bring so much damage, it often seems impossible to repair the damages completely. However, water damage restoration professionals are always here to help you fix any issue that results from water leakage in your home.
It doesn’t matter if you’ve experienced a flood or surface water seepage – our professionals will provide you with cost-effective solutions that surely fit your budget. Our services give peace of mind which is very important for residential and commercial properties owners
ASAP Restoration offers a wide variety of services to clients who want solutions for their problems caused by flood or other issues. Our company provides 24/7 emergency assistance during the weekend and holidays.
Double-check to prevent water damage problems at home Inspection is extremely important even if you believe that your home is safe from any leaks. Water damage restoration professionals will provide an accurate analysis of the damaged area, so you can receive comprehensive treatment for getting rid of moisture and mold growth in your property.
If not treated immediately, water leaking hidden behind walls or under the foundation may lead to serious damages to your home. The longer it takes before professional help arrives, the more damage it does. That’s why you need to call us as soon as possible without waiting for emergencies to develop! You don’t have to sweat over unexpected issues because we are ready to help 24/7. You can call us anytime and we will arrive promptly!