The dangers that come with water damage
Water damage can cause extensive damage to your home or office, and can even lead to health hazards if not addressed quickly. That’s why it’s important to have a reliable water damage restoration company on standby, ready to address any issues that may arise.
Houston is a particularly humid city, which means that there is always a risk of water damage. Whether it’s a broken pipe, a flooded basement, or a roof leak, water damage can happen quickly and without warning. If you don’t know how to properly address the issue, the damage can only get worse.
Water damage can cause serious problems, including:
– The growth of mold and mildew. Mold loves dark, moist areas to grow. When water is left to sit for too long, it creates the perfect environment for mold growth. If you don’t address the problem quickly enough, your entire home or office could be at risk.
– Damage to floorboards and walls. Left untreated, water damages materials like wood and drywall that are integral to the structure of your home. This can result in an unsightly mess with lasting repercussions.
– Faulty appliances. When water sits near electrical components, it creates a breeding ground for corrosion and rust. Water damage can lead to fires or other safety hazards and can leave you with costly electrical repairs.
– Health issues. The longer water sits, the more likely it is to grow dangerous bacteria or mold. Water damage can lead to respiratory illness and other health problems due to exposure to pollutants in dirty water.
Houston’s climate proves that residents and businesses alike must have a reliable water damage restoration company on standby at all times. If you suspect that there may be an issue with your home or office, call ASAP Restoration immediately so we can address the problem before it has lasting repercussions.
How to prevent water damage in your home?
As the days are getting hotter, the last thing you want to do is turn up your air conditioner. That’s why it’s important to be proactive when it comes to preventing water damage in your home before an emergency happens. Water can cause thousands of dollars in property damage if not properly dried out by professionals. When it comes to water damage restoration, time is money so knowing how you can prevent water damage in your home is crucial.
The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) recommends the following tips to avoid water damage in your home:
– Make sure roof gutters and downspouts are clean and flowing properly. Water needs a clear path to flow away from the foundation of your home. Gutters should be cleaned at least twice per year because leaves clog up gutters very fast. Buildup can also occur after heavy rains or snow melts, so make sure gutters are flowing properly before summer hits. If you’ve experienced flooding recently, check for cracks or holes that may need repair by a professional.
– Check that all pipes leading into your house are not clogged with tree branches or any other debris by trimming back tree branches around the exterior of your home.
– Make sure outdoor faucets are not dripping because a slow drip can add up to 20 gallons of water wasted per month. Verify that your washer hose is draining into a bucket and not the foundation of your home.
– Check for different types of moisture in your home, which could mean you leak somewhere. The EPA recommends checking under sinks, near dishwashers, washing machines, refrigerators, and other places where plumbing may exist or have been installed in the past.
– Inspect your roof for missing or damaged tiles, shingles, or flashing that can cause water to seep into your home. If you find any damage, have it repaired as soon as possible.
– Make sure you have a working fire extinguisher and carbon monoxide detector in your home in case of an emergency.
The best way to prevent water damage is to be proactive and inspect your home regularly for any potential problems. If you do find a problem, don’t hesitate to call ASAP Restoration to help take care of the issue before it turns into a bigger problem.
Tips for the aftermath of a flood or leak in your home
When a flood or leak in a home happens, it doesn’t just mean a huge mess to clean up. It also means that damage is being done to the structure every minute that nothing is being done. Because of this, there are a few things that everyone who has seen water damage in their home should do immediately after they have been affected by it.
Here are some tips to keep in mind for when you find out there has been water damage in your home:
1. Shut off the water if possible
If there is a leak, try to turn off the water as soon as you can. This will minimize the amount of additional damage that is done. If you can’t turn off the water, go to the next step.
2. Dry out the area
If you can’t turn off the water, start drying out the area as soon as possible. Use fans, towels, and anything else you can to get rid of as much moisture as possible. This will help prevent further damage.
3. Call professionals
It’s best to call in professionals to help deal with any kind of water damage. They will have experience dealing with these types of situations and will be able to help get your home back to normal.
Water damage can be a huge headache to deal with, but following these tips can help minimize the damage and make the process easier. Remember to always call in professionals from ASAP Restoration if the damage is too much for you to handle on your own. We will be able to help get your home back to its original state.
What are some signs you may have a problem with mold growth in your house?
Mold can grow anywhere where there’s a lot of moisture: near leaks in the roof or plumbing under the house, over windows that aren’t properly sealed, at times of flooding, or just from everyday condensation. If you see mold, it could be because something is wrong with your house and not because you’re an irresponsible person who lets things get dirty. Healthy people won’t even really notice mold unless it gets out-of-control severe enough to trigger allergies or asthma symptoms.
But what if I told you that people who suffer from chronic illnesses such as bronchitis and frequent migraines usually share one thing? It’s the fact that they’re all living in houses with black mold problems. If this is true, then why do doctors say that you’re not at risk of black mold exposure if you don’t have a history?
It’s because they often mistake the symptoms for something else. For instance, those who suffer from asthma and bronchitis may think their condition is worsening due to other factors such as cold weather or pollution. Sometimes people with migraines are misdiagnosed with sinus problems instead. If you see any of these signs in your home, it’s possible that there is indeed another cause for these health concerns but it pays to be safe.
Here are some warning signs:
– Water damage stains on your walls, ceilings, and floors. You can spot the signs of water damage by looking out for small discoloration or spots that look like rust or paint and powdery substances on old water spots.
– Musty or earthy smells
– Condensation on windows, walls, or pipes
– Swelling or rotting wood
– Peeling paint
– Sticky surfaces
If you’re already experiencing some of these symptoms and live in an area that’s been known to have a history of water damage, then it’s important to seek professional help as soon as possible. ASAP Restoration services can be very helpful in assessing the damage in your home and providing a solution.
Tips on what to do if you have mold in your home or business
If you have mold in your home or business, it is important to take action as soon as possible. Mold can cause a variety of health problems, so it is best to remove it as quickly as possible.
Here are a few tips on what to do if you have mold:
1. Remove any items that have been affected by the mold. This includes furniture, clothing, and other belongings. If these items cannot be removed, they should be sealed in plastic bags until they can be removed.
2. Clean the area where the mold is located. Use a detergent and water to clean the area, and make sure to dry it completely afterward.
3. Apply a sealant to the area where the mold is located. This will help prevent the mold from spreading.
4. Contact ASAP Restoration company. We can remove the mold and help to prevent it from returning.
If you have any questions about mold, or if you need assistance with water damage restoration, please contact us today. We are here to help you get your home or business back to normal as quickly as possible.